Homemade Oat Milk
This one was more difficult. Getting the right proportions and pleasing the palate of a five year old was complicated, but we got there in the end! This recipe is extremely easy and we love it as we are being self-sufficient.
You will need:
• A mixer
• 1 cup of Oats
• 2 cups of water
• 3 pitted dates
• 1 teaspoon of honey (if required)
• Cheese Cloth or Tea Towel to strain (We use one of our Produce Bags)
• Add all your ingredients to your mixer.
• Once you have done that, mix everything until you feel everything has blended well.
• Place your chosen strain cloth, over the mouth of your storage jar and let the liquid strain through. This can take a bit of time, a little encouragement may be needed.
• Store your Oat Milk in the fridge and use within five days. Also, give it a good shake before each use.
That’s it! You may have to trial and error like we did, to get the oat milk to your required taste. But it really is very simple to do. We aren’t lucky enough here in Northern Ireland yet, to have the option of our cows milk in glass bottles. So we decided to make our own. I read somewhere that oat and almond milk is better for us anyway so it’s a win, win! Enjoy!