We did it! There has been a lot of trial and error and some not so tasty results, but we have finally perfected our homemade toothpaste. We’re over the moon and it’s really simple!
You will need:
• Jar or pot to hold the toothpaste
• 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
• 1 tablespoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
• 1 tablespoon of xylitol (the magic ingredient)
• 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
Did you know that xylitol is a natural sweetener derived from the fibrous parts of plants. It does not break down like sugar and can help keep a neutral pH level in the mouth. Xylitol also prevents bacteria from sticking to the teeth. This is how it helps prevent from tooth decay.
Coconut oil inhibits the growth of Streptococcus mutans, an acid-producing bacterium that is a major cause of tooth decay
Bicarbonate of Soda acts as an abrasive and helps with whitening.
• Simply pop all your ingredients in your chosen jar, we popped each ingredient in one by one and gave a good mix each time.
That’s it! Simple.
We intially tried 5 drops of peppermint essential oil but didn’t find it minty enough, so we added more. This is a personal choice, so try different amounts for yourself.
We always recommend you do your own research, if you are unsure about any ingredients, this recipe works for us but may not work for everyone. Also like normal toothpaste, do not swallow. Enjoy!